Have you added your satellite number to SafetyLine yet? If not, click HERE
Your Garmin inReach device can integrate with SafetyLine in a more robust way by configuring an API integration. By integrating with the Garmin API, you will be to access tracking capabilities and the option to update your itinerary throughout the day. Below are the instructions to get these new configurations set up so you can start using these features:
- Verify that you’re on a Garmin Professional account if not you must upgrade to a Garmin Professional account.
- Once logged in navigate to the “Settings” section in the top right corner and select “Portal Connect”. Once here add this URL:https://deviceapi.slmonitor.com/garmin to the “Outbound Settings” section and save all changes
- Hop back to the main page and click on “Groups and Users”
- Click on “New User”
- Fill in all the required fields in order to continue. You're required to fill in two emergency contacts howeverSafetyLinedoes not use these contacts. They are only used by the search and rescue response.
- Next, proceed to the "Plans and Devices" page and click "Assign"
- Choose the User you would like to assign that device to.
- Once here click on "Messages" to set up the three SafetyLinecommands
- Add the following three commands. It's important to keep in mind that in order to update your Check-in, End Monitoring or declare an Emergency you will need either OK, HELP or END MONITORING in your message. If you leave these important keywords out the message will be treated as a data report and will not trigger the command withinSafetyLine
- END MONITORING
Once this is complete make sure the email configured is sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also send other messages not related to SafetyLine commands; these will add a data report to your History. As an example, you could write “Leaving Site A and heading to Site B”, this will leave a data report message in your History for yourself and your Monitors to see. This will allow you to update your location throughout the day and better inform your Monitors if an Emergency is to occur. In order to do this simply type the message and send it to email@example.com
As mentioned early in the article, once you have enabled the Garmin API you will also gain access to the tracking features. When Checked-in to SafetyLine you will drop GPS markers throughout the day which will be logged in your History. This provides crucial information to your Monitors in the event you find yourself in an emergency situation. In order to apply this simply enable the Tracking feature on your inReach device.